The comics project was tremendous fun and great opportunity to spend more time working within one of my favourite mediums.
Sunday, 6 May 2012
Next was a project with a different approach. The fact project was asking us to take a more objective and rational approach towards the content. This definitely effected my image making, causing me to take on a more observational approach, being true to the facts that I was interested in. I found it challenging to create a project based on research as a lot of my work is about the creation of a mood, with emotional themes. But as long as I stayed engaged within the subject I just wanted to know more. My drawing styles for the ceramics and the environment became quite different as I found where the techniques were relevant. It was really interesting to see how they combined and how my drawing style could stretch for the brief. Something else I took from this project was how to present my research within my sketchbooks, I tryed to make them into engaging information objects in themselves, for practise purposes mainly.
The main part of the publish project was to create a vocabulary book of drawings from a chosen list- some recognisable objects, some more abstract. We were asked to represent them through different attributes, in order to explore how to communicate this through an object. The colour choice was limited to two, at opposite ends of the spectrum, and black. It was a really good opportunity to expand my visual language, as I find with out this, it's easy for representations to become repetitious and unnatural. Especially with the challenge of only using two colours and black, I was considering how to use them much more carefully in order to communicate in the correct way. The workshops were very useful too, in terms of ways of approaching image making and broadening skills, aways useful!
The Fiction project was a classic illustration project; to make illustrations of a Penguin Mini Modern Classic short story. The foundation of the project was a collection of observational drawings from over the summer, for us to be able to reference when making. I learnt a huge amount about handling the content of the narrative with in this project, which was something that I knew needed more practise. Before, when making work the main focus was on the quality of the drawing, and the communication would be considered second. I was taking everything I'd learnt in the first year about drawing technique and how you can direct this towards effective communication, and applied it to the telling of my story. I was incredibly inspired by the writing and felt I had to try and stay as close to it as possible to create an honest depiction. Even though I didn't make very many finished pieces within this project, I felt like my approach to storytelling is more analytical when considering what is relevant for the brief.
Monday, 30 April 2012
Summer Comics- a collection of short stories, a mix of fictitious and autobiographical narratives, mix of mark making and textures. The subject matter is much more tuned towards reality, which I think has occurred as I've techniquely improved and found it to be a more suitable direction.
In summer comics I noticed a definite step forward within my drawings. My line work is much more defined and appropriate for the size of the page. My figures and expressions are more natural and realistic. I'm excited by the idea of having multipule stories within one book and possibly including the work of others too.
'Eightball Comics'- Badly named, I'd realised soon after that Daniel Clowes had beaten me to it. This was my first inked comic book, also new characters. I don't feel like I moved on a huge amount as I was working in a new medium, but I'd definitely learnt as I made it. The subject matter is more realistic then 'Skipper and Morris' and set in present time.